Recipe: Mac & Cheese
Our Mac & Cheese is by far one of our favorite dishes. The secret ingredient is our Mornay Sauce, a relative of the classic Béchamel, made with a combination of gruyere and parmesan cheeses.
While we usually guard this recipe pretty closely, we’re in a sharing mood. Follow this easy step-by-step recipe to recreate one of our best sellers in the comfort of your own home.
BARREL & ASHES MAC & CHEESE
½ cup all-purpose flour
½ cup unsalted butter, plus more to sweat aromatics
2 large cloves of garlic, crushed
¼ wedge of onion, diced
1 bay leaf
¼ tsp cayenne pepper
1 sprig of thyme
¼ tsp black peppercorn
1 cup whole milk
½ cup cream cheese
½ cup mild cheddar, grated
½ cup jack cheese, grated
Salt and pepper, to taste
1 medium-sized pot
1 medium-sized saucepan
1 cutting board
- In a medium pot sweat garlic and onions with bay leaves, cayenne pepper, thyme, additional butter, and black peppercorns. Add milk and allow mixture to simmer; about 10 minutes.
- Remove milk from heat and steep aromatics for approximately 25-30 minutes.
- When ready, strain aromatics out of milk and set aside.
- Using a saucepan add butter and allow to melt over medium heat. Once melted add equal parts flour and cook for 2 minutes. Note: As this is a white sauce, be careful to not overcook your roux.
- Reduce heat to low and slowly whisk milk into roux until completely emulsified.
- Whisk in cream cheese, then grated jack and cheddar cheeses.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Once you have finished making the Mornay Sauce, mix it in with shell pasta and then top with breadcrumbs and scallions.
If this all seems too daunting, you can always come on in and order some Mac & Cheese from us! We’ll even deliver it straight to your home!