RECIPE: WATERMELON & JICAMA SALAD
Our Watermelon & Jicama Salad is one of the best dishes to order at Barrel & Ashes during Studio City’s scorching hot summers. Follow this easy step-by-step recipe to recreate one of our favorites in the comfort of your own home.
BARREL & ASHES WATERMELON & JICAMA SALAD
- 1 whole seedless watermelon, cut into one-inch cubes
- 2 lbs of jicama, diced into one-inch cubes
- 2 cucumbers, cut in half lengthwise and then sliced thinly with a mandolin
- 2 jalapenos, finely diced
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 6 limes, juiced and zested
- 1/2 cup simple syrup (1/4 cup water + 1/4 cup sugar)
- Combine water and sugar in a small sauce pot and bring to a boil to make simple syrup. Set aside and let cool.
- Add half of the lime juice and lime zest to simple syrup and finish cooling in the refrigerator.
- Dice watermelon and jicama and place into a mixing bowl.
- Add diced jalapeno, 1/2 of the chopped cilantro, cucumber, drizzle lime infused simple syrup.
- Add remaining lime juice.
- Lightly mix together and season with salt, pepper, and Tajin.
- Serve in your favorite serving bowl.
- Garnish with the remaining zest and cilantro.